Measuring The Un-Known; Navigating Intelligence

The idea of learning, of deliberate practice and of learned intelligence centers on the premise, that we can make learn a lot better, a lot quicker if we are able to make sense of the world around us. We need to know the game, see the patterns, store the necessary information and we can become better at learning anything. If we know why and how, what we learn fits into the bigger picture, we will be inclined to own the process of learning as we can envision the end goals better, observe the progress and know exactly where we want to be in the future. 



Why Learn?


Coming from a traditional education system that mainly relied on by-rote learning methodologies and valued word-for-word reproduction of concepts, I was lucky to have been blessed with a photographic memory. Being the top of the class through out my academic journey got me labeled as the more intelligent of my contemporaries and classmates, which was assessed year after year by examinations required more of rote learning with the exception of mathematics. However, I knew that acing the system will enable me to get the admission in the universities of my choice, and hence mastering the system became my learning goal. 

Cracking the code to more "Better Opportunities"


After the first 12 years of schooling, I sat various entrance exams to reputable universities. Since most of the renowned internationally developed IQ test kits are expensive, most of the institutes develop their own tests; borrowing from here and there these tests are generally different for every institution. However, with time most of the test preparation centers have cracked their codes, and train the hopeful candidates accordingly. The key is practice. With enough practice, tips and techniques for heuristics, most students who have access to these materials provided by the 'Test Preparation Centers' know how to ace the tests. This particular aspect combined with my own abilities of storing large amounts of data, fluency in English language and numerical reasoning expertise helped me as well in obtaining the desired above cut-off marks and get admitted to the universities of my liking. 

Changing Perceptions


Acing the tests set by one of the most respectable and prestigious business institutes in Pakistan endorsed the notion that I am indeed an intelligent person; as assumed by fellow peers and family. I was regarded as something of a mentor and an adviser by youngsters around, and with time was sought as a mediator or in general a problem solver by the people in my circle. The assumptions did help me in my career as a product manager and a researcher as well, as I would be the one trusted with the challenging projects more often as compared to my colleagues. 


Discovering the Learner


However, I do consider myself a learner. Despite the definitive assumptions of my intelligence, I never looked at intelligence as an end in itself. I was always very clear that my perceived intelligence is in fact a result of my love of learning and continuing to learn, and not the other way around. I was multi-skilled not because of my high-abilities by birth, but because I chose "Deliberate Practice". Whatever skill I wished to acquire, I would see myself as a novice, and then work towards becoming better at it. I know how to direct my interests and quench my curiosity by way of self-organizing and see how it fits into my life and the bigger picture; purpose of my life in this world. 

Disclaimer; This article has been authored as a requirement for the course "What Future For Education?" by Dr. Clare Brooks of UCL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Race and The Unimpressed Panel of Strangers

Perfect Education Systems; Wishful Thinking

The Need To Re-Invent The Curriculum